Monday, April 19, 2010

Aloo Tikki with Nut Cream and Sweet & Sour Cabbage

Sometimes, weird food combinations work. Sometimes...they don't.

Learn from my mistakes and don't make these two dishes together. The Aloo Tikki would be better complimented by a leafy green dish (think kale or spinach), and the cabbage would work well with Chinese food, or something kind of heavy and savory. Together they're not awful, but the combo doesn't really do either justice.


Sweet & Sour Cabbage Wedges
(adapted from Everyday Food, March 2008)
Ingredients:
olive oil
1/2 a head green cabbage
1/3 cup cider vinegar
3 Tbs sugar (or sugar substitute of your choice)
1 1/2-2 cups water
Salt and pepper

Directions:
  1. Quarter the cabbage (so each wedge is 1/8 a head) keeping the core intact to hold the wedges together.
  2. Heat 2-3 Tbs olive oil in a medium skillet, over medium heat.
  3. Add the cabbage and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes a side.
  4. Add the vinegar, sugar, and 1 1/2 cups water.
  5. Bring the liquid to a boil, and turn down to a simmer, cover and cook 10-15 minutes, until cabbage is tender (test it with a fork or sharp knife) you may need to add a bit more water near the end.
  6. Remove from the liquid, salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.

I'll admit it; I don't think I like cabbage. I’d never really had it before, so I figured I’d give it a shot. I make an effort to try everything once, and I'll try it a few more times prepared different ways, because I really want to like cabbage. It’s super cheap! It's so good for you! Seriously, I really REALLY want to like it, but it might not be in the cards for me. If you have a cabbage recipe that can change my mind, I would love to check it out.

Aloo Tikki 
These would also make a great appetizer if you don't mind greasy fingers.
(adapted from VegNews, February 2009)

Ingredients:
1 russet or all purpose potato, baked
1 15 oz can of chickpeas or 1 3/4 cups cooked chickpeas
1/8-1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, adjusted to your spice tolerance
3 tsp dried cilantro
1 Tbs grated ginger or ginger puree
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 tsp fine sea salt or table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground if you've got it
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup all purpose flour (wheat should work fine, but I haven't tried it)
1/4 cup canola oil for frying

Directions:
  1. Remove and discard the skin from the potato,  mash the chickpeas and potato together in a medium bowl.
  2. Add the red pepper flakes, cilantro, ginger, lemon juice, salt, pepper, coriander, cumin, and flour, mix well.
  3. Shape the mixture into small compressed patties.
  4. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
  5. Add the pattie and cook until golden brown, turning once. 
  6. Serve hot with nut cream or vegan yogurt and any chutneys or relishes you like.

Nut Cream

Ingredients:
1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds (you could use whole almonds if you have a powerful blender)
1/4 cup cashews
1/4-1/2 cup almond milk (Almond Breeze original unsweetened works the best)
2 Tbs almond butter, salted (or add a dash of salt to the mixture)
agave syrup to taste
salt to taste
You can also add other spices or flavorings, like cayenne and cumin for a dip similar to spiced yogurt.
Note: I like the flavor of toasted nuts in this, but if you want it to be a more bland cream, or to use it as a base for something with subtle flavors, go for raw nuts.

Directions:
  1. Combine the almonds, cashews, almond butter, and 1/4 cup almond milk in a blender or in the cup that goes with your immersion blender.
  2. Beginning on a low speed, run the blender for short bursts to break up the nuts. This step is more important if you're using a less powerful or immersion blender. If you rock out with a vita-mix, just go for it.
  3. Continue blending until smooth, adding almond milk if the mixture gets too thick. Add it sparingly, a tablespoon or two at a time.
  4. Once your cream is as thick/thin as you want it, add salt and a touch of agave to taste for something that would work well in place of a mayo, or just agave for something more reminiscent of yogurt.


This whole awful combo came about because I usually try to balance my meals, some protein, some carbs, some fats, that kind of thing. I figure the more variety, the more balanced your diet is, since every food has it's strengths and weaknesses. Not only did this end up being a super beige meal (in color department, not in the taste department) because, well, I didn't finish my cabbage, (I followed my moms three bite rule, but I just couldn't do it, sorry cabbage fans... Wait, are there cabbage fans out there? Does such a thing even exist?) but my balancing act didn't take into account how awesome the nut cream would be since I made it on the fly, more as an experiment to guide future trials than the perfect condiment for the Aloo Tikki, so I packed a double whammy in the fat department. Live and learn though, right? Right.

1 comment:

  1. We received cabbage in our most recent vege box delivery. My most successful use of it was as a filling for spring rolls (baked, not fried). I sautéed it with some other finely shredded veges, garlic, ginger, a splash of vego oyster sauce and white vinegar, then stuffed it into spring roll wrappers and into the oven. I will blog about this, but not for another week at least!

    Your Aloo Tikki looks delicious just as it is. :-)

    ReplyDelete